Custom Search

Friday 12 September 2008

Hughes: I'm the boss at City

Mark Hughes insists he will have the final say over football matters at Manchester City despite the takeover of the club by the mega-rich Abu Dhabi United group.

Mark Hughes

FriedemannVogel/GettyImages

Mark Hughes: In charge at City.

The takeover has provided Hughes with a vast transfer kitty to spend and the City manager says he controls which players are signed for the squad.

Hughes said: ''Football matters are my department, those are decisions that I make. That's what I have been told and that is what I expect.

''I have been assured that football matters are my remit and that is the way that it should be.

''From the discussions I have had with them, they would appear to regard myself and my staff as an asset.''

City come up against Chelsea tomorrow in what is being termed the ''clash of the cash'', and Brazilian superstar Robinho is expected to make his debut.

Hughes said Robinho had made a point of saying how much he was looking forward to facing the club who came close to signing him from Real Madrid - only to be gazumped by City's £32.5million bid.

''On the day I met him in London 10 days ago, one of the first things he said was that he can't wait for the game because he can't wait to play against Chelsea, so that's a good sign,'' said Hughes.

''The one impression everyone has of Robinho is that as soon as he gets the ball you sense something is going to happen and I think everyone will see that at the weekend.''

Hughes said the fixtures computer could not have thrown up a better match to set pulses racing.

He added: ''I know it's being billed as the 'clash of the cash'.

''We are really looking forward to getting back to playing football and the fixture against Chelsea is a fantastic one for us, it's the perfect game for us given the circumstances.''

Hughes will not have Martin Petrov available as the Bulgarian is out with a knee injury but Micah Richards could be available after recovering from a shoulder injury. Michael Johnson (groin) is also doubtful.

Shaun Wright-Phillips will also make his first appearance at Eastlands since returning to City from Chelsea.

Hughes said: ''Everyone knows that Shaun is an exceptionally talented footballer, and we are delighted that he is back.

''I know that he is really excited about going up against Chelsea.''

No comments: